Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Fraggles like Radishes, and So Do I -- Days 7-8



Fraggle Rock was one of my favorite television shows growing up!  Did anyone else watch it?  While babysitting our 3 year old nephew Giovanni a few weekends ago, we tried to show him the DVD, but he was not that enthused by it.  My dad, Chris, and I, on the other hand, started talking about the show, remembering our favorite characters, and it brought back great memories from my childhood!


I bought an enormous bunch of fresh radishes yesterday, hence the Fraggle Rock reference. As you may recall from the show, the Gorgs were not big fans of the Fraggles, because they were constantly stealing the radishes from their garden! But enough about Fraggles...


My second meeting with Leah yesterday went quite well!  She was impressed with my progress, my attitude, and my desire to reach all of my goals that I had set forth to accomplish!  I told her what a positive response I had been getting from my blog, which, in all honesty, I had never expected!  I started this blog initially for myself and Leah, as a second part to another blog, to document the journey that I have been on to take control of my life and my health over the past few months.  With this particular blog, however, I hope to  inspire others to at least think about making some positive changes in their own lives, if not vicariously through my changes, and help me celebrate my successes, failures, and try some new foods in the process!


I got some great things at the store yesterday, and I am going to be cooking more, instead of just eating salads and smoothies :) So instead of telling you what I am eating every day, I will start sharing recipes of what I am cooking, and asking you to contribute your favorites as well!  I will also start giving away prizes for my favorite recipes that I make from what is submitted, so make sure you participate!


Here is what I am making today:


Dinner will be Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry--
no recipe-just boneless chicken and whatever veggies I feel like throwing in ( I have fresh celery, carrots, red cabbage, water chestnuts, green beans, spinach, radishes, kohlrabi-probably will be some of all of these)  and some type of sauce ( I will probably do something creative here with what I have on hand - I have peanut butter, Teriyaki  sauce, soy sauce, Honey BBQ sauce and French dressing--should be interesting :0)


I am also making Turkey Stuffed Cabbage Leaves with the following modifications:
  • I use 99% fat free ground turkey breast from Giant Eagle, which usually comes in 19 oz packages, so I will be using the whole package (as soon as hubby brings it from the store:)
  • I bought red cabbage yesterday, so that's what I am using--never had stuffed red cabbage--should be interesting :)
  • I don't like/have onions, so won't be using onions
  • I also have a sensitivity to eggs, so I will be using an egg white substitute I bought yesterday, not Egg Beaters though
Lastly, I am making Extra Lean Turkey Meatloaf (Chris LOVES my meatloaf) again with the following modifications:
  • egg white substitute
  • no onions, green peppers or mushrooms (I do not have these and he does not like them :)
Do you have a favorite recipe for any of the above dishes? I would love to hear them!  Once I am done cooking, I will post some pics!


Have a great day!



"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." -- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

No comments:

Post a Comment